Saturday, October 31, 2009

MEMORIES

Playing the piano is not my forte, but it was certainly my grandmother's. She played by ear and had somewhat of a ragtime thing going on even when she played hymns(probably the reason back then they didn't ask her to play at the church). She took piano lessons once as a child but didn't continue because the teacher figured out she wasn't reading the music, even though she could; she would hear it played one time and her own rendition would arise.
One of the favorite things we liked to do as children was sing and dance around the living room while she played Turkey In The Straw, The White Cliffs of Dover, When Johnnie Comes Marching Home, When The Saints Go Marching In, or anything we heard on the radio and were able to sing to her.
There was one song she especially liked that she would run the entire keyboard at one point. It was called Memories. I remember this one line that said, "You left me alone, but still I come home, to those beautiful memories."
I love coming home to those memories, she taught me that music was to be cherished and was fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment